Domain Authority (DA) is a search engine ranking score developed by Moz that predicts how well a website will rank on search engine result pages (SERPs). Domain Authority is calculated by evaluating linking root domains, number of total links, MozRank, MozTrust, etc. — into a single DA score. The Domain Authority metric was developed by Moz, but others have created similar metrics that rank domains based on a number of factors and give them a rating from 0 to 100.
What is the domain authority of a website?
The DA of a website is a score between 0 to 100 (the higher the better), that tries to predict how well a website will rank on search engines. It is not the same as the ranking score used by Google (PageRank). Moz and others are trying to simulate the Google ranking algorithm by taking into account all known factors that can possibly affect rankings, and give a score to domains that can be used for comparison purposes only. It’s normal for a domain to have a low Domain Authority but have high ranking on Google.
Other things you should know about DA:
DA does not take into account Google penalties. A domain that is under a Google penalty naturally loses its rankings but its not necessary that Moz or any other such body are aware of it for your website.
Google’s ranking algorithm takes into account hundreds of factors (nobody knows exactly the number but some predictions indicate that there are more than 200) while Domain Authority takes into account 40 factors only. It’s not easy to change your DA score. It’s not something you can do on your website today and see the increase in domain authority spontaneously.
DA is based on a logarithmic scale. This means that it’s easier to improve your DA score from 20 to 30 but it’s much harder to go from 70 to 80. As you go higher in the scale, it becomes more difficult.
How is the domain authority calculated?
According to Moz, they calculate Domain Authority by taking into account a number of signals that may include:
- The number of incoming links pointing to your website.
- The quality and relevancy of incoming links
- The quality of your website’s content
- Social Signals – how well you are performing on social channels
- Your SEO performances in general
Considerable Steps on How to Improve your Domain Authority:
On-Page SEO Optimization
How well you perform your on-page optimization that matters. Make sure your contents are not copied as exact.
- Proper use of Headings (H1 and H2) within your content.
- URL structure and SEO optimized permalinks.
- Optimizing your images, videos and other media elements.
- Informative content should be there with natural keyword placement.
Make your Off-page Powerful
Your link profile, is the most important metric of all. Websites that have a strong, clean profile will have a higher DA score than websites with a not so good link profile. A website for which I was working in-house webcontactiblity.com, I tried to have less but effective backlinks. Creating authentic and meaningful backlinks is the best way to grow.
Make Sure Your Website is Mobile Friendly
Having a mobile friendly website is no longer optional or nice to have but it’s mandatory. That trend of only desktop website is no more.
Here are a few reasons:
- Mobile searches are now more than desktop (about 75%).
- Most users start their search on mobile and then continue on Desktop
- Mobile friendliness is a ranking factor (for showing in Google’s mobile results)
- Google is working on a mobile first index and website’s that are not mobile friendly will simply not be included
- Not having a mobile friendly version of your website (or responsive website), has a negative impact on your overall Domain Authority Score.
With this pointers like mobile speed, desktop speed, server loading time, website file size and code minifying are the things that you need to take about.
Yes at the end, if you have any more suggestions you may write in the comment section and would love to read your suggestions.
About the Author: Samibrata is a Digital Marketer, Web Designer, Speaker, Trainer & an Entrepreneur with Engineering Degree in C.S.E worked for finest Company in India, handling some top brands.